CHOICE notable educational name for 2009
"This ground-breaking source is strongly steered for all libraries and healthiness and welfare institutional depots; crucial for college collections, specifically these catering to social reviews programs."
—Library magazine, STARRED Review
Children and adults spend loads of time in actions we expect of as "play," together with video games, activities, and spare time activities. with out puzzling over it very deeply, virtually all people may agree that such actions are enjoyable, enjoyable, and enjoyable. although, play has many reasons that run a lot deeper than uncomplicated leisure. for kids, play has quite a few services reminiscent of pageant, following principles, accepting defeat, making a choice on leaders, exercise management, training grownup roles, and taking hazards on the way to obtain rewards. For adults, many video games and activities function risk free releases of emotions of aggression, pageant, and intergroup hostility.
The Encyclopedia of Play in modern Society explores the idea that of play in background and smooth society within the usa and the world over. Its scope encompasses relaxation and leisure actions of kids and adults through the a long time, from cube video games within the Roman Empire to games at the present time. With greater than 450 entries, those volumes don't comprise assurance activities and activity groups yet, as a substitute, conceal the loads of video games performed to not earn money yet as casual task. All elements of play—from studying to festival, mastery of nature, socialization, and cooperation—are integrated. just enough, this Encyclopedia explores play performed for the thrill of it!
- Available in either print and digital formats
- Provides entry to the attention-grabbing literature that has explored questions of psychology, studying idea, online game idea, and historical past in depth
- Considers the impacts of play on baby and grownup improvement, relatively on well-being, creativity, and imagination
- Contains entries that describe either grownup and adolescence play and video games in dozens of cultures worldwide and all through history
- Explores the delicate analyses of social thinkers resembling Huizinga, Vygotsky, and Sutton-Smith, in addition to the big variety of video games, toys, activities, and entertainments discovered round the world
- Presents cultures as assorted because the old heart East, smooth Russia, and China and in countries as far off as India, Argentina, and France
- Adult Games
- Board and Card Games
- Children's Games
- History of Play
- Outdoor video games and novice Sports
- Play and Education
- Play round the World
- Psychology of Play
- Sociology of Play
- Toys and Business
- Video and on-line Games
For a topic we commonly contemplate light-hearted, play as a examine subject has generated an intensive and complex literature, exploring more than a few penetrating questions. This two-volume set serves as a basic, nontechnical source for teachers, researchers, and scholars alike. it truly is a vital addition to any educational library.